In the year 1810 the U.S. Congress allocated $4000 to build a lighthouse at Scituate Harbor which was completed in 1811. In 1827, due to complaints from mariners, fifteen feet of height was added to the tower. The light was deactivated in 1860 with the construction of the new Minot’s Light to the north. In 1916 the town of Scituate purchased the lighthouse for $1000 from the federal government. Then in 1968 custody was given to the town historical society. In 1994 the light was relit for the first time in 134 years.